CAAA(LEGAL) - STATE AND FEDERAL REVENUE SOURCES: STATE
There shall be appropriated biennially from money in the state treasury not otherwise appropriated an amount sufficient to supplement local funds for the proper support, maintenance, operation, and improvement of those public junior colleges of Texas that meet the standards prescribed by Education Code Chapter 130. The sum shall be allocated on the basis of contact hours within categories developed, reviewed, and updated by the Coordinating Board. Education Code 130.003(a)
To be eligible to receive its proportionate share of the biennial appropriations for support, maintenance, operation, and improvement, each public community college must:
- Be certified as a public community college as prescribed by Administrative Code 9.29.
- Offer a minimum of 24 semester credit hours of career technical/workforce education courses.
- Have complied with all existing laws, rules, and regulations governing the establishment and maintenance of public community colleges.
- Collect, from each full-time and part-time student enrolled, appropriate matriculation and other fees as required by law.
- Grant, when properly applied for, the scholarships and tuition exemptions provided for in the Education Code.
- Levy and collect ad valorem taxes as provided by law for the operation and maintenance of the institution.
Education Code 130.003(b), (d); 19 TAC 9.28–.29
Expenditure of Funds
All funds allocated under the provisions of the Education Code, with the exception of those necessary for paying the costs of audits as provided, shall be used exclusively for the purpose of paying salaries of the instructional and administrative forces of the several institutions and the purchase of supplies and materials for instructional purposes. Education Code 130.003(c)
Note: For more detail regarding appropriated funds and restrictions on the use of the funds, see the current General Appropriations Act and related appropriations bills, available at the Legislative Reference Library of Texas.