CRF(LEGAL) - INSURANCE AND ANNUITIES MANAGEMENT: UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE
The ESC shall comply with the provisions of the Texas Unemployment Compensation Act. Labor Code 201.026
Employees of the ESC shall be ineligible to receive benefits if:
- They perform instructional, research, or principal administrative services and have a contract or reasonable assurance of performing such services for any educational institution during the next academic year or term.
- They perform other services for an educational institution and have reasonable assurance of performing such services during the next academic year or term.
- They perform services described above immediately before a vacation period or holiday recess and have reasonable assurance of performing such services during the period following such vacation or holiday recess.
Labor Code 207.041(a)–(e)
The ESC shall contribute to the unemployment compensation fund by choosing one of the following options:
- Paying a state unemployment compensation tax administered by the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC). Labor Code 204.101
- Reimbursing the state fund for the amount of any benefits paid to ex-employees of the ESC. Labor Code 205.001
- Entering a joint group account with other reimbursing political subdivisions to share the cost of benefits that are attributable to service in the employ of the group account members. Labor Code 205.021
Initial Claim and Response
After receiving a notice of the filing of an initial claim for unemployment benefits, the ESC shall notify the TWC promptly of any facts known to the ESC that may adversely affect the claimant's right to benefits or affect a charge to the ESC's account.
The ESC's notification must include sufficient factual information to allow the TWC to make a determination regarding the claimant's entitlement to benefits.
If the ESC does not mail or otherwise deliver the notification within 14 days after the date notice of the claim was mailed, the ESC waives all rights in connection with the claim, including rights the ESC may have under Government Code Chapter 204, Subchapter B, other than rights relating to a clerical or machine error as to the amount of the person's chargeback or maximum potential chargeback in connection with the claim for benefits.
Gov't Code 208.004(a)–(b)