The Superintendent is authorized to accept or reject any transfer requests, provided that such action is without regard to race, religion, color, sex, disability, national origin, or ancestral language.

Except for a graduating senior, a resident student who becomes a nonresident during the course of a semester shall be permitted to continue in attendance for the remainder of the semester. If the student's residency status changes during the first semester, tuition must be paid in order for the student to be permitted to continue in attendance in the District for the second semester.

A graduating senior who becomes a nonresident during the course of the school year shall be permitted to continue in attendance for the remainder of the school year on a tuition-free basis.

A student who is allowed to finish a school year under the preceding provisions may not return to the District the following school year unless the parent or guardian has reestablished residency in the District, or the student falls into one of the categories for transfers below.

Transfer Requests

A nonresident student wishing to transfer into the District shall file an application for transfer each school year with the Superintendent or designee. A transfer shall be granted through the highest grade at a school. [See Transfer Agreements]


In approving transfers, the Superintendent or designee shall consider availability of space and instructional staff and the student's disciplinary history and attendance records.

Transfer Agreements

A transfer student shall be notified in the written transfer agreement that he or she must follow all rules and regulations of the District.

A parent and student who accept a transfer shall agree to abide by the receiving school's standards for academic progress, attendance, discipline, and parental cooperation. The principal of the receiving school shall be authorized to deny or revoke the transfer if these conditions are not met. [See FDB(REGULATION)]

Types of Transfers

The District shall accept a transfer student from another district under the following conditions:

  1. A temporary transfer for a period of 45 calendar days may be granted when a family who resides outside the District has a home under construction or is waiting to occupy a residence purchased or rented in the District. Documentation indicating the expected date of occupancy shall be presented to the office of student services. [See FDA(REGULATION) for additional information.]
  2. A nonresident District employee's child may transfer on a tuition-free basis into a District school.
  3. The District may admit a student who resides outside District boundaries into a school or a designated special school program, if space is available. Additional requirements may be required for special campuses or special school programs, as specified in FDA(REGULATION). Tuition may be required.
  4. A student enrolled in a District school who is placed in temporary foster care by the Department of Family and Protective Services at a residence outside the attendance area for the school or outside the District may continue in attendance at the school or within the school's feeder pattern on a tuition-free basis. The District is unable to provide transportation.


Unless otherwise required by law, transportation shall not be provided to a student who is transferred under this policy.


If tuition is charged, the Board shall determine, within statutory limits, the amount.

Any Texas resident who transfers into a District school may be admitted tuition-free to a campus to the extent the District's actual expenditure in average daily attendance for that student does not exceed the state available school fund apportionment benefits transferred to the District under Education Code 25.037. In the event the cost of education for such transfer student exceeds the state revenue received by the District for a non-resident student, the transfer student may be required to pay tuition for the difference.


The Board may waive tuition for a student based on financial hardship upon written application by the student, parent, or guardian. [See FP]


The District may initiate withdrawal of students whose tuition payments are delinquent.


Any appeals shall be made in accordance with FNG(LOCAL) and GF(LOCAL), as appropriate.

Austin ISD


LDU 2018.15

DATE ISSUED: 10/12/2018