GKD(LOCAL) - COMMUNITY RELATIONS: NONSCHOOL USE OF SCHOOL FACILITIES
The District has established a limited open forum for nonschool use of District facilities in accordance with this policy.
The District shall provide equal access to youth groups designated in federal law, including the Boy Scouts, as it provides to other nonschool users of District facilities. [See Patriotic Societies in GKD(LEGAL)]
Scope of Use
The District shall permit nonschool use of designated District facilities for educational, recreational, civic, or social activities when these activities do not conflict with school use or with this policy.
Approval shall not be granted for any purpose that would damage District property or to any group that has damaged District property.
Note: See the following policies for other information regarding facilities use:
- Use by employee professional organizations: DGA
- Use of facilities for school-sponsored and school-related activities: FM
- Use by noncurriculum-related student groups: FNAB
- Use by District-affiliated school-support organizations: GE
The District shall permit nonprofit organizations to conduct fund-raising events on District property when these activities do not conflict with school use or with this policy.
The District shall permit individuals and for-profit organizations to use its facilities for financial gain when these activities do not conflict with school use or with this policy.
Except to the extent a District facility is used as an official polling place, District facilities shall not be available for use by individuals or groups for political advertising, campaign communications, or electioneering, as those terms are used in state law.
Requests for nonschool use of District facilities shall be considered on a first-come, first-served basis.
Academic and extracurricular activities sponsored by the District shall always have priority when any use is scheduled. [See FM] The Superintendent shall have authority to cancel a scheduled nonschool use if an unexpected conflict arises with a District activity.
Approval of Use
The Superintendent is authorized to approve any nonschool use of any District facility.
No approval shall be required for nonschool-related recreational use of the District's unlocked, outdoor recreational facilities, such as the track, playgrounds, tennis courts, and the like, when the facilities are not in use by the District or for a scheduled nonschool purpose.
In case of emergencies or disasters, the Superintendent may authorize the use of District facilities by civil defense, health, or emergency service authorities.
The District shall permit repeated use by any group or organization for nonschool purposes in accordance with administrative regulations and the written agreement with the group or organization.
Any organization or individual approved for a nonschool use of District facilities shall be required to complete a written agreement indicating receipt and understanding of this policy and any applicable administrative regulations, and acknowledging that the District is not liable for any personal injury or damages to personal property related to the nonschool use.
Fees for Use
Nonschool users shall be charged a fee for the use of designated facilities.
The Superintendent shall establish and publish a schedule of fees based on the cost of the physical operation of the facilities, as well as any applicable personnel costs for supervision, custodial services, food services, security, and technology services.
Fees shall not be charged when District facilities are used:
- For public meetings sponsored by state or local governmental agencies; or
- By District employee professional organizations [see DGA].
Persons or groups using District facilities shall:
- Conduct business in an orderly manner.
- Abide by all laws and policies, including but not limited to those prohibiting the use, sale, or possession of alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, and firearms, and the use of tobacco products or e-cigarettes on school property. [See GKA]
- Make no alteration, temporary or permanent, to school property without prior written consent from the Superintendent.
All groups using District facilities shall be responsible for the cost of repairing any damages incurred during use and shall be required to indemnify the District for the cost of any such repairs.
The District shall permit an exception to the prohibition on the sale, possession, and consumption of alcoholic beverages for certain events held at the District's performing arts facility if:
- The facility is leased to a nonprofit organization for an event that is not sponsored or sanctioned by the District;
- The lease agreement requires that the event is held outside of regular school hours; and
- The lease agreement requires alcoholic beverages to be sold and served in accordance with law by a person with an appropriate retail license or permit.