FFAC(LOCAL) - WELLNESS AND HEALTH SERVICES: MEDICAL TREATMENT
No employee shall give any student prescription medication, nonprescription medication, herbal substances, anabolic steroids, or dietary supplements of any type, except as authorized by this or other District policy.
Medication Provided by Parent
The Superintendent shall designate the employees who are authorized to administer medication that has been provided by a student's parent. An authorized employee is permitted to administer the following medication in accordance with administrative regulations:
- Prescription medication in accordance with legal requirements.
- Nonprescription medication, upon a parent's written request, when properly labeled and in the original container.
- Herbal substances or dietary supplements provided by the parent and only if required by the individualized education program or Section 504 plan for a student with disabilities.
No Medication Provided by District
The District shall not purchase medication to administer to a student.
Except as permitted by law, an employee shall not:
- Recommend to a student or a parent that the student use a psychotropic drug;
- Suggest a particular diagnosis; or
- Exclude the student from a class or a school-related activity because of the parent's refusal to consent to psychiatric evaluation or examination or treatment of the student.
A student's parent, legal guardian, or other person having lawful control shall annually complete and sign a form that provides emergency information and addresses authorization regarding medical treatment. A student who has reached age 18 shall be permitted to complete this form.
The District shall seek appropriate emergency care for a student as required or deemed necessary.