AE(LOCAL) - EDUCATIONAL PHILOSOPHY
All students enjoy successful education experiences, empowering them to make decisions while enriching their lives in the future they create.
Theory of Action
Our theory of action is that of a System of Great Schools. We foster systems and processes to increase the percent and number of students in top-rated schools and reduce the percent and number in low-rated schools.
Board's Constraints for the Superintendent
The Board establishes the following constraints for the Superintendent:
- The Superintendent will not allow the student attendance to fall below 94.98 percent (elementary), 93.6 percent (middle school), and 90 percent (high school).
- The Superintendent will not allow any campuses to have inequitable access to proficient staff nor limit the autonomy to implement site-based staffing.
- The Superintendent will not limit "academic choice program" options at any level nor meet with the community less than three times a year.
Board's Constraints for the Board
The Board places the following constraints on itself collectively and on its trustees individually:
- The Board collectively, and trustees individually, will not perform or appear to perform any of the roles delegated to the Superintendent.
- The Board will not allow the introduction of new information or materials related to agenda items once the agenda is posted.
- The Board's discussion of any agenda item will not exceed 14 minutes, with each Trustee allowed two minutes to comment. However, the Board President, at his or her discretion, may extend the amount of time that each Trustee is allowed to speak, but must ensure that each Trustee is allowed an equal amount of time.
- The Board will review and amend its operating procedures annually.
The Board establishes the following goals:
- The percentage of graduates who will qualify for community college or university, military, or industrial certification will increase annually 4.5 percentage points from 67.5 percent to 90 percent by 2022 (graduating class of 2022).
- The percentage of students who perform at the Masters Grade Level standard for all grades in state mathematics examinations will increase 2.2 percentage points each year from 9 percent to 20 percent by 2022.
- The percentage of students who perform at the Masters Grade Level standard for all grades in state reading examinations will increase 2.4 percentage points each year from 8 percent to 20 percent by 2022.
The following core beliefs guide the District:
- We believe in constructive engagement of the school community for the success of our District.
- We believe in a strong support system for the school community to achieve excellence.
- We believe that innovative and challenging experiences for all students produce successful learners.
- We believe that trusting relationships among the school community are essential to student success.
- We believe that an inclusive school culture promotes positive student development and voice.
- We believe strong and effective student and adult leadership is essential to build a culture of high expectations.
The District establishes the following strategies:
- We will engage all school community members through transparency and effective communication to promote a positive perception and create a strong brand.
- We will establish a system of extraordinary customer service to attract and retain members of our community.
- We will develop a strong support system that will provide meaningful and innovative instruction that promotes critical thinking and problem solving.
- We will build partnerships with businesses and the community to promote parental involvement, support opportunities for student success, and increase student attendance and enrollment.
- We will promote and ensure a safe and secure learning environment for all students.
The District works toward the following learner outcomes:
- All learners will develop learning goals, track their progress, and adjust based on feedback and reflection.
- All learners will demonstrate their thinking in a creative and innovative manner.
- All learners will demonstrate honor and integrity.
- All learners will develop reading, writing, thinking, and speaking skills that will allow them to communicate and collaborate effectively in all environments.
- All learners will employ digital skills to demonstrate literacy and comprehension of multiple forms of technology.
- All learners will develop leadership skills that enable them to act independently when necessary and give them the confidence to take appropriate risks.