AE(LEGAL) - ACCOUNTABILITY
The Commissioner may decide any matter concerning the operation or administration of the ESCs. [See AC and CB] Education Code 8.001(c)
Performance Standards and Indicators
The Commissioner shall establish performance standards and indicators for ESCs that measure the achievement of the objectives of enabling school districts to operate more efficiently and economically and implement initiatives assigned by the Legislature or the Commissioner. [See AD and BR]
Performance standards and indicators shall include the following:
- Student performance in the school districts served;
- School district effectiveness and efficiency in districts served resulting from technical assistance and program support;
- Direct services provided or regionally shared services arranged by the ESC that produce more economical and efficient school operations;
- Direct services provided or regionally shared services arranged by the ESC that provide for assistance in core services; and
- Grants received for implementation of state initiatives and the results achieved by the ESC under the terms of the grant contract.
The specific performance standards and indicators by which the Commissioner evaluates each ESC and Executive Director are described in the Regional Education Service Center Performance Standards and Indicators Manual provided in Figure: 19 TAC 53.1021(b).
Education Code 8.101; 19 TAC 53.1021
Each ESC shall annually develop and submit to the Commissioner for approval a plan for improvement. [See also BAA and BJA] Each plan shall include the purposes and description of the services the center will provide to:
- Campuses identified as academically unacceptable based on the indicators adopted under Education Code 39.051;
- The lowest performing campuses in the region; and
- Other campuses.
Education Code 8.051(b)
Reporting to Commissioner
Each ESC shall report audited or budgeted financial information and any other information requested by the Commissioner for use in assessing the performance of the ESC. The Commissioner shall develop a uniform system for ESCs to report audited financial data, to report information on the indicators above, and to provide information on client satisfaction with services. [See BR] Education Code 8.102
Commissioner's Annual Evaluation
The Commissioner shall conduct an annual evaluation of each Executive Director and ESC. Each evaluation must include:
- An audit of the ESC's finances;
- A review of the ESC's performance on the indicators listed above;
- A review of client satisfaction with services provided; and
- A review of any other factor the Commissioner determines to be appropriate.
Education Code 8.103
The Commissioner shall use the performance reports required under Education Code 39.053 as a primary consideration in evaluating each Executive Director. [See BJCD] Education Code 39.054(3)
The Commissioner shall develop a system of corrective actions to be implemented at an ESC that the Commissioner determines to be deficient in an accountability measure under Education Code 8.103. The actions must include, in increasing order of severity:
- Conducting an on-site investigation of the ESC;
- Requiring the ESC to send notice of each deficiency to each school district and campus in the ESC's region or served by the ESC's the previous year;
- Requiring the ESC to prepare for the Commissioner's approval a plan to address each area of deficiency;
- Appointing a master to oversee the operations of the ESC;
- Replacing the Executive Director or Board of Directors; and
- In the case of deficient performance in two consecutive years, closing the ESC.
Education Code 8.104