Course Credit for Entering Freshmen Students

  1. Establish the institution's conditions for granting course credit, including the minimum required scores on CLEP examinations, AP examinations, and examinations for courses constituting the IB Diploma Program; and
  2. Based on the correlations between subject matter and content of courses offered by each institution of higher education and the subject matter and content of courses and examinations in the IB Diploma Program, the AP Program, and the CLEP as identified by the Coordinating Board, in consultation with the Texas Education Agency, under Education Code 51.968(f), identify the specific course credit or other academic requirements of the institution, including the number of semester credit hours or other course credit, that the institution will grant to a student who successfully completes the diploma program, who successfully completes a course through concurrent enrollment, or who achieves required scores on CLEP examinations or AP examinations.

Education Code 51.968(c)-(c-1), (f)

  1. The amount and type of any course credit that would be granted to the applicant under the policy; and
  2. Any other academic requirement that the applicant would satisfy under the policy.

Education Code 51.968(b)–(e)

Course Credit for Military Training

  1. Any official military record presented to the institution by the student that describes the substance of the training completed by the student and verifies the student's successful completion of that training; and
  2. Whether the substance of that training satisfies the purpose of the course for which the student seeks credit as described in the institution's course catalog.

Education Code 51.3041

Course Credit for Military Service

Education Code 51.3042

Transfer of Credit

Transfer of Lower-Division Course Credit

19 TAC 9.77

Transfer of Core Curriculum

Transfer of Field of Study Curriculum

Education Code 61.823(b)–(c); 19 TAC 4.32(b)–(c)

Transfer Dispute Resolution

  1. If an institution of higher education does not accept course credit earned by a student at another institution of higher education, the receiving institution shall give written notice to the student and to the sending institution that transfer of the course credit is denied and shall include in that notice the reasons for denying the credit. Attached to the written notice shall be these procedures for resolution of transfer disputes for lower-division courses, accompanied by clear instructions outlining the procedure for appealing the decision to the commissioner.
  2. A student who receives notice as specified in item 1 may dispute the denial of credit by contacting a designated official at either the sending or the receiving institution.
  3. The two institutions and the student shall attempt to resolve the transfer of the course credit in accordance with Coordinating Board rules and guidelines.
  4. If the transfer dispute is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student or the sending institution within 45 days after the date the student received written notice of denial, the sending institution may notify the commissioner in writing of the request for transfer dispute resolution, and the institution that denies the course credit for transfer shall notify the commissioner in writing of its denial and the reasons for the denial.


Education Code 61.826; 19 TAC 4.27

Withdrawal for Military Service

  1. Grant a student, who is eligible under the institution's guidelines, an incomplete grade in all courses by designating "withdrawn-military" on the student's transcript; or
  2. As determined by the instructor, assign an appropriate final grade or credit to a student who has satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of coursework and demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material.

Education Code 54.006(f)

ROTC Courses Counted for Enrollment Status

Texas Southmost College



DATE ISSUED: 3/17/2016