Student Illness

Procedures shall be established by the administration to ensure that proper attention is given to any student who becomes ill during the course of a school day.

Accidents Involving Students

Emergency procedures shall be established by the administration to ensure proper attention for any student injured at school. Records shall be maintained on all accidents that require the attention of a medical doctor.

Emergency Forms

Each year, students and parents shall complete and sign a form that provides emergency information and authorizes school officials to obtain emergency medical treatment, as provided by law.

Purchasing Medication

The District shall not purchase nonprescription medication to administer to a student.

Authorized Employees

Before a student may resume participation following an injury, the Superintendent shall designate in administrative regulations the employees authorized to dispense medication to students. The campus principal shall designate a campus employee to be responsible for storing and dispensing medications in the absence of the school nurse.

Administering Medication

Authorized District employees may administer prescription medication in accordance with legal requirements. [See FFAC(LEGAL)] Authorized District employees may administer nonprescription medications provided by the parent under the same provisions as for prescription medications.

Medication that is to be administered to a student on a long-term basis (i.e., the entire school term) shall necessitate written instructions from the prescribing physician or other health-care provider with authority to write prescriptions. The physician or health-care provider must be licensed to practice medicine in the United States.

Medications are to be kept in the school office or clinic. For safety purposes, medications shall not normally be kept in classrooms. Medications given daily to students in a special education setting may be kept in the classroom in isolated circumstances, provided all guidelines are followed.

A student may carry metered dose inhalers with him or her, provided the parent or legal guardian and the child's physician deem the child responsible to independently administer the inhaler as necessary. Written permission to this effect must be on file with the school nurse.

Parenteral medications (intravenous, subcutaneous, intramuscular) may be administered on campus by a licensed nurse employed by the District provided:

The District has received a written request from the parent, legal guardian, or other person having legal control of the student, and written order from a physician licensed to practice in the state of Texas and/or the United States.

An outside nursing agency is not contracted with the parent and/or physician to administer the medication.

It is medically necessary that the parenteral medication be administered during school hours.

Nurses employed by the District shall not assume responsibility for changing any previously inserted parenteral medication administration devices.

Any special administration medical equipment is to be supplied by the parent or legal guardian.

Medications obtained outside the United States shall not be administered to students by District employees unless written authorization is on file from a physician or other health-care provider (with authority to write prescriptions) licensed to practice in the United States.

Substances classified as dietary supplements of any type, anabolic steroids, natural remedies, or herbal medicines that have not met Food and Drug Administration standards and/or approval shall not be administered at school unless a written authorization is on file from a physician or other health-care provider (with authority to write prescriptions) licensed to practice in the United States.

When the duration of medication is completed, the unused portions need to be picked up. Any medication left at school shall be disposed of according to accepted guidelines at the end of the school year.

Doctor's Request

In addition to legal requirements, the District may also require a doctor's or other health-care provider's (with authority to write prescriptions) written request to administer medication to a student.


Except as permitted by Education Code 38.016, an employee shall not:

Recommend to a student or a parent that the student use a psychotropic drug;

Suggest a particular diagnosis; or

Exclude the student from a class or a school-related activity because of the parent's refusal to consent to psychiatric evaluation or examination or treatment of the student.

Harlingen CISD



DATE ISSUED: 2/9/2010