General Eligibility

Student and Parent

The person and either parent reside in the district.


The person does not reside in the district, but one of the parents resides in the district and that parent is a joint managing conservator or the sole managing conservator or possessory conservator of the person.

Guardian or Person Having Lawful Control

The person and his or her guardian or other person having lawful control under an order of a court reside in the district.

Students Living Separate and Apart

The person is under the age of 18 and has established a separate residence in the district apart from his or her parent, guardian, or other person having lawful control under an order of a court and has established that the person's presence in the district is not for the primary purpose of participation in extracurricular activities. A board is not required to admit such person, however, if the person has:

Engaged in conduct that resulted in removal to a disciplinary alternative education program or expulsion within the preceding year;

Engaged in delinquent conduct or "conduct in need of supervision" and is on probation or other conditional release for that conduct; or

Been convicted of a criminal offense and is on probation or other conditional release.

Students Who Are Homeless

The person is homeless. [See also FDC]

"Child who is homeless," "person who is homeless," and "student who is homeless" have the meaning assigned to the term homeless children and youths under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act.

"Homeless children" under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act means children or youths who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence; and includes:

Children who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; or are abandoned in hospitals;

Children who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;

Children who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings; and

Migratory children living in circumstances described above.

As a migratory agricultural worker or a migratory fisher; or

With, or to join, a parent or spouse who is a migratory agricultural worker or a migratory fisher. [See EEB]

Foreign Exchange Students

The person is a foreign exchange student placed with a host family that resides in the district by a nationally recognized foreign exchange program, unless the district has applied for and been granted a waiver by the commissioner of education because:

This requirement would impose a financial or staffing hardship on the district;

The admission would diminish the district's ability to provide high-quality education services for the district's domestic students; or

The admission would require domestic students to compete with foreign exchange students for educational resources.

Students in Residential Facility

The person resides at a residential facility, as defined in Education Code 5.001, located in the district. For purposes of enrollment, a person who resides in a residential facility is considered a resident of the district in which the facility is located. Education Code 25.001(b)(7), 29.012(c)

Students Over 18

The person resides in the district and is 18 or older or the person's disabilities of minority have been removed. Education Code 25.001(b)(8)

Resident Grandparent

The person does not reside in the district but the grandparent of the person:

Resides in the district; and

Provides a substantial amount of after-school care for the person as determined by the board.

Residence Homestead

The person and either parent of the person reside in a residence homestead, as defined by Tax Code 11.13(j), that is located on a parcel of property any part of which is located in the district. Education Code 25.001(b)(10)

Proof of Eligibility

"Residence" Defined

Active-Duty Parent

General Eligibility for Students with Disabilities

Scholastics with or without Disabilities

Needs an alternative school setting; or

Is older than the age at which school attendance is compulsory and chooses to enroll in the district.



Entrance Committee

Immigration Status

High School Equivalency Certificate

Substitute for Parent or Guardian

Authorization Agreement

Authorizing medical, dental, psychological, or surgical treatment and immunization of the child, including executing any consents or authorizations for the release of information as required by law relating to the treatment or immunization;

Enrolling the child in the district; and

Authorizing the child to participate in age-appropriate extracurricular, civic, social, or recreational activities, including athletic activities.


Note: The Authorization Agreement for Nonparent Relative (PDF) is available on the DFPS website.

Temporary Authorization for Care

The child has resided with the person for at least the 30 days preceding the date the petition was filed; and

The person does not have an authorization agreement or other signed, written documentation from a parent, conservator, or guardian that enables the person to provide necessary care for the child.

Consent to medical, dental, psychological, and surgical treatment and immunization of the child;

Enroll the child in the district; and

Authorize the child to participate in age-appropriate extracurricular, civic, social, or recreational activities, including athletic activities.


Students in Foster Care

Assurances that each placement of the child in foster care takes into account the appropriateness of the current educational setting and the proximity to the school in which the child in enrolled at the time of placement; and

An assurance that the appropriate state agency has coordinated with a district to ensure that the child remains in the school in which the child is enrolled at the time of each placement; or if remaining in that school is not in the best interests of the child, assurances by the state agency and the district to provide immediate and appropriate enrollment in a new school, with all of the educational records of the child provided to the school.

Transfers from Other States

Students Holding F-1 Student Visas

Note: Enrolling students with F-1 visas is optional. If the district is interested in enrolling students with F-1 visas, it must comply with the federal Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) under the Department of Homeland Security.

Texas Juvenile Justice Department


Legal Surname

Required Documentation

The child's birth certificate, or another document suitable as proof of the child's identity as defined by the commissioner in the Student Attendance Accounting Handbook.

A copy of the child's records from the school the child most recently attended if he or she was previously enrolled in a school in Texas or in another state.

A record showing that the child has the immunizations required by Education Code 38.001, proof that the child is not required to be immunized, or proof that the child is entitled to provisional admission. [See FFAB]

Residential Facility

The student's school records, including records regarding special education eligibility or services, behavioral intervention plans, school-related disciplinary actions, and other documents related to the student's educational needs;

Any other behavioral history information regarding the student that is not confidential under another law; and

The student's record of convictions or the student's probation, community supervision or parole status, as provided to the facility, if necessary to provide education services to the student.

Summer School Enrollment

Food Allergy Information

Child in DFPS Possession

Inconsistent Documentation

Missing Documentation

False Information

Placement of Transfers

Credits and Records

Nonpublic Schools

Foundation School Program

On September 1 of the year, the person:

Is at least five years of age and under 21 years of age, and has not graduated from high school;

Is at least 21 years of age and under 26 years of age and is admitted by a school district to complete the requirements for a high school diploma; or

Is at least 18 years of age and under 26 years of age and is enrolled in an adult high school diploma and industry certification charter school program under Education Code 29.259.

The person is enrolled in prekindergarten under Education Code 29.153 [see EHBG].

The person is younger than five years of age and performs satisfactorily on the state assessment instrument administered to third graders and a district has adopted a policy to admit students younger than five years of age.

The person is enrolled in the first grade and is at least six years of age at the beginning of the current school year or has been enrolled in the first grade, or has completed kindergarten, in the public schools of another state before transferring to a Texas public school.


Pest Control Information

South Texas ISD



DATE ISSUED: 11/20/2019