ECC(LOCAL) - INSTRUCTIONAL ARRANGEMENTS: COURSE LOAD AND SCHEDULES
A full-time student shall be defined as one who is enrolled for a minimum of 12 semester credit hours per fall, spring, or combined summer session. Special permission must be obtained from the vice chancellor of instruction or designee in order to enroll for more than 18 semester credit hours during a fall or spring semester, more than seven semester credit hours in an individual summer session, or more than 14 semester credit hours during the combined summer sessions.
Limitation on Number of Dropped Courses
A College District student shall not be permitted to drop more than six courses taken while enrolled at the College District or another public institution of higher education. For the limit to apply:
- The student must be permitted to drop the course without receiving a grade or being penalized academically;
- The student's transcript must indicate or will indicate the student was enrolled in the course; and
- The student must not have dropped the course to withdraw from the College District.
Exceptions for Good Cause
A student shall be permitted to exceed the limit on the number of dropped courses for any of the following reasons:
- A severe illness or other debilitating condition that affects the student's ability to satisfactorily complete a course;
- The care of a sick, injured, or needy person if providing that care affects the student's ability to satisfactorily complete a course;
- The death of a member of the student's family as defined by law;
- The death of a person who has a sufficiently close relationship to the student as defined by law;
- The student's active military duty service;
- The active military service of a member of the student's family or a person who has a sufficiently close relationship to the student; or
- A change in the student's work schedule that is beyond the student's control and affects the student's ability to satisfactorily complete the course.
Exception for Reenrolled Students
A qualifying reenrolled student may drop a seventh course in accordance with law.
The Chancellor shall develop procedures to implement this policy and shall publish the procedures in the College District catalog.