Consent to Medical Treatment

A school must obtain consent for medical treatment prior to treating the student.

The school in which a minor student is enrolled may consent to medical treatment of that student if:

A parent or guardian cannot be contacted;

Actual notice to the contrary has not been given by that person; and

A written authorization to consent has been received from that person.

Consent must be in writing, must be signed by the school official giving consent, and then must be given to the doctor, hospital, or other medical facility. The consent must contain:

Name of the student;

Name of one or both parents, conservator, or guardian;

Name and relationship of the person giving consent;

Nature of medical treatment to be given; and

Date of treatment.

A student 16 years of age may give consent if he or she:

Is residing separate and apart from the minor's parent, managing conservator, or guardian,

Is unmarried and pregnant,

Has an infectious or communicable disease, or

Has a chemical dependency.

Administering Medication

Except as provided below, no employee will administer to any student any prescribed or non-prescribed medication, herbal, or dietary supplement.

Exceptions Administering Medications

Only employees authorized by the Superintendent may administer medication provided that all of the following are met:

The District has a written request to administer the medication from the parent or legal guardian;

The medication is in its original container;

A physician's form from a certified U.S. physician is returned with the prescribed medications;

A signed medication permit is on file for the student; and

If the medication is over the counter (OTC), it has a medication permit approved by a certified U.S. physician.

Clint ISD


LDU 2019.06

DATE ISSUED: 9/18/2019