BED(EXHIBIT) - BOARD MEETINGS: PUBLIC PARTICIPATION)
Board Operating Procedures for Public Comment
Individuals who wish to provide public comment or testimony to the Board at the designated time during a Board meeting must sign up at least three hours in advance of the Board meeting in-person with the Board secretary at the District's administration building, 1515 Cherrybrook, Pasadena, Texas, 77502, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Signup will open at 8:00 a.m. on the first business day following the posting of notice of the meeting and agenda and close three hours before the meeting begins. When an individual signs up, the individual must identify the topic on which they wish to address the Board and indicate whether the comment pertains to an item on the Board agenda and, if so, which item or items. An individual who will be accompanied by a translator must notify the District at the time of signup.
If an agenda item is continued or posted again for a meeting on a later date, individuals who wish to address the Board on the item must sign up separately for that later date.
Topic of Public Comment
At meetings other than regular Board meetings, public comments are limited to items on the posted meeting notice and agenda. At regular meetings, comments on other topics may be allowed as time permits. Public comments should be limited to topics relevant to District business.
Time for Public Comment
Generally, the Board allots a maximum of 30 minutes at the beginning of each Board meeting to hear public comments pertaining to items on the agenda posted with notice of the meeting.
For regular Board meetings only, the Board generally allots an additional maximum of 30 minutes to hear public comments on topics not listed on the agenda posted with notice of the meeting. This public comment portion of the meeting will occur after the Board has deliberated and/or taken action on items listed on the agenda for the open session portion of the meeting.
However, in the interest of time and the orderly conduct of public business, the Board reserves the right to:
- Increase or decrease the per-speaker time limit to address the Board.
- Move comments on non-agenda topics to the end of the meeting and/or postpone comments on non-agenda topics to future meetings.
- Take items in a different order than shown on the meeting notice.
- Proceed first with agenda items for which no speakers have registered to provide comment.
- Recommend that comments involving the performance of individual District employees or officers be made through the grievance policy.
- Require that comments involving personally identifiable student information be made through the grievance policy.
- Continue a meeting or an agenda item to another day in order to allow adequate time for public comment.
- Make other reasonable adjustments to the timing of public comment in accordance with law.
The Board delegates to its presiding officer the authority to make reasonable adjustments to the timing and conduct of public comment in accordance with law. [See BDAA]
The presiding officer will announce these adjustments in an open meeting.
Per-Speaker Time Limit
A speaker will be given up to three minutes to address the Board. If, however, the total number of speakers seeking to address the Board at a meeting exceeds ten, the per-speaker time limit may be reduced. In no event will a speaker be given less than one minute to address the Board. A speaker who wishes to address multiple agenda items may be given one minute as additional time to address the Board.
Written Comments to the Board
In lieu of or in addition to speaking at an open meeting, a member of the public may also submit written comments to the Board regarding District business by:
- Delivering a copy of the written comments in person to the Board's Secretary at the Pasadena ISD Administration building, 1515 Cherrybrook, Pasadena, Texas 77502;
- Mailing a copy of the written comments to Board of Trustees, Pasadena Independent School District,1515 Cherrybrook, Pasadena, Texas 77502; or
- Emailing a copy of the written comments to Board@pasadenaisd.org.
Written submissions to the Board are subject to public disclosure in accordance with the law.