Persons Age 21 and Over

The District shall not admit into its public schools any person age 21 or over unless otherwise required by law.

Registration Forms

Before a student may be officially admitted to a District school, the student's parent, legal guardian, or other person having lawful control shall annually complete the appropriate registration forms. A student who has reached age 18 shall be permitted to complete these forms if he or she is authorized to act as his or her own agent. If the student is not so authorized, the forms must be completed by the parent, guardian, or other person having lawful control.

Preferred Forms of Proof of Residency and Identification

Initial Enrollment

At the time of initial registration, the parent, guardian, or other person having lawful control of the student under order of a court shall present proof of residency as defined by law. The District shall accept the following types of records as proof of residency:

A current utility bill; or

A sales or rental contract for a residence or apartment listing each occupant of the residence or apartment. If the student and his or her family reside with another family, a notarized statement acknowledging that fact may be required from the owner of the residence or manager of the apartment building.

In accordance with law, the District may make reasonable inquiries to determine whether the student is a resident of the District, including when a document submitted for purposes of proving residency is not in the name of the adult who is enrolling the student. Based on an individual's circumstance, the District may grant exceptions to the requirement to produce a document listed above. When required by law, the District shall waive the requirement to prove residency in the District boundaries.

Continued Enrollment

After a student's initial enrollment, the District shall verify residency through the annual registration forms and may investigate stated residency as necessary.

Minor Living Apart

Person Standing in Parental Relation

A minor student residing in the District but whose parent, guardian, or other person having lawful control under a court order does not reside in the District shall present a power of attorney or an authorization agreement as provided in Chapter 34 of the Family Code assigning responsibility for the student in all school-related matters to an adult resident of the District. The adult resident responsible for the student shall complete a Determination of Residency form.


A minor student living apart who has engaged in misconduct that results in any of the consequences found in Education Code 25.001(d) shall not be permitted to attend a District school.


Based on an individual student's circumstance, the Superintendent shall have authority to grant exceptions to the requirement for a power of attorney or authorization agreement and to the exclusion for misconduct.

Extracurricular Activities

The Superintendent or designee shall determine whether a minor student living apart is present in the District for the primary purpose of participating in extracurricular activities.

Nonresident Student in Grandparent's After-School Care

The parent and grandparent of a nonresident student requesting admission under Education Code 25.001(b)(9) shall provide to the Superintendent the required information on the grandparent's residency and complete a form provided by the District describing the extent of after-school care to be provided by the grandparent.

The Superintendent or designee shall have authority to approve or deny such admissions requests in accordance with criteria approved by the Board.

Admission of an Expelled Student

If a student has been expelled from another school district, the expelling district shall provide to the District a copy of the expulsion order and the referral to the authorized officer of the juvenile court. The District shall continue the expulsion under the terms of the order and shall place the student in an alternative education program for the period specified by the expulsion order.

"Accredited" Defined

For the purposes of this policy, "accredited" shall be defined as accreditation by TEA, an equivalent agency from another state, or an accrediting association recognized by the commissioner of education.

Grade-Level Placement

Accredited Schools

The parent, guardian, or other person having lawful control of a student enrolling in a District school from an accredited public, private, or parochial school shall provide evidence of the prior schooling outside the District. The student shall be placed initially at the grade level reached elsewhere, pending observation by the classroom teacher, guidance personnel, and the principal. On the basis of these observations and results of tests that may be administered by appropriate District personnel, the principal shall determine the final grade placement.

Nonaccredited Schools

A student enrolling in a District school from a nonaccredited public, private, or parochial school, including a homeschool, shall be placed initially at the discretion of the principal, pending observation by classroom teachers, guidance personnel, and the principal. Criteria for placement may include:

Scores on achievement tests, which may be administered by appropriate District personnel.

Recommendation of the sending school.

Prior academic record.

Chronological age and social and emotional development of the student.

Other criteria deemed appropriate by the principal.

Transfer of Credit

Accredited Texas Public Schools

Credit toward state graduation requirements earned in an accredited public school district in Texas shall be transferable and recognized by the District.

Other Accredited or Nonaccredited Schools

Before recognizing credit in a course earned in an accredited nonpublic school, an accredited school outside of Texas, or a nonaccredited school, appropriate personnel shall evaluate a student's records and transcript. The District may require the student to demonstrate mastery of the content or use alternative methods to verify course content for the award of credit.

Transition Assistance

In accordance with law, when a student who is identified as homeless or in substitute care enrolls in the District, the District shall assess the student's available records and other relevant information to determine transfer of credit for subjects and courses taken prior to enrollment.

[See EI]


A parent or guardian wishing to withdraw a minor student shall present a signed statement that includes the reason for the withdrawal. A student who is 18 or older may submit a withdrawal statement without a parent's or guardian's signature.

[For District withdrawal of students no longer in attendance, see FEA(LOCAL).]

Spring ISD



DATE ISSUED: 7/23/2020