GKB(LOCAL) - COMMUNITY RELATIONS: ADVERTISING AND FUNDRAISING
District facilities shall not be used to advertise, promote, sell tickets, or collect funds for any nonschool-related purpose without prior approval of the Superintendent or designee.
[For information relating to nonschool use of facilities, see GKD.]
For purposes of this policy, "advertising" shall mean a communication designed to attract attention or patronage by the public or school community and communicated through means under the control of the District in exchange for consideration to the District. "Advertising" does not include public recognition of donors or sponsors who have made contributions, financial or otherwise, to the District or school-support organizations.
Advertising shall be accepted solely for the purpose of generating revenue for the District and not for the purpose of establishing a forum for communication. The District shall retain final editorial authority to accept or reject submitted advertisements in a manner consistent with the First Amendment. The District shall retain the authority to determine the size and location of any advertising. The District reserves the right to reject advertising that:
- Is inconsistent with federal or state law, Board policy, District or campus regulations, curriculum, educational mission, programs, and activities;
- Is inappropriate in a school setting with a student audience;
- Advertises products presenting a health hazard;
- Creates a substantial likelihood of material disruption, including adding to the District's obligations for security and facilities maintenance;
- Promotes sexually oriented businesses;
- Promotes companies, firms, or other entities whose activities, businesses, or revenues are substantially derived from or related to alcohol, tobacco, firearms; or
- Adds to the District's administrative burden by exposing the District to complaints, controversy, or litigation.
The District shall not accept paid political advertising.
Acceptance of advertising shall not constitute District approval or endorsement of any product, service, organization, or issue referenced in the advertising, nor shall acceptance of advertising from a vendor determine whether the District will purchase goods or services from the vendor through the District's formal procurement process.
[For information relating to school-sponsored publications, see FMA.]
Sponsorships and Donations
If the District or any campus accepts financial or in-kind donations to support District-sponsored activities, the District reserves the right to acknowledge donors through whatever means the District deems appropriate. The District retains full editorial control over its acknowledgment or display of donations, even if donors are permitted to suggest text for the acknowledgment.