EIF(EXHIBIT) - ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT: GRADUATION
Resolution to ConsiderAlternative Graduation Requirements
WHEREAS, pursuant to Education Code section 28.02541, a district may graduate and give a high school diploma under alternative requirements to individuals who entered the ninth grade before the 2011–12 school year and have met all applicable graduation requirements for the year they entered ninth grade, but have not performed satisfactorily on an assessment instrument or part of an assessment instrument required for graduation;
WHEREAS, in accordance with 19 Administrative Code section 74.1027, a district may permit eligible individuals to qualify to graduate and receive a high school diploma if they meet the alternative requirements under 19 Administrative Code section 74.1027(c) or Board-approved local alternative requirements under 19 Administrative Code section 74.1027(d) that allow an individual to demonstrate proficiency in the content related to the examination for which the individual did not perform satisfactorily;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Board of Trustees of La Joya Independent School District by adoption of this resolution approves the following local alternative requirements developed by the District that will allow eligible individuals to graduate and receive a high school diploma as authorized under Education Code section 28.02541.
To be eligible to graduate and receive a high school diploma under these provisions, an eligible individual must demonstrate proficiency to the satisfaction of a local graduation committee in the content areas related to the assessments on which the individual has not performed satisfactorily. Proficiency shall be established through one or more of the following factors:
- The individual's grade in each course in the subject areas applicable to the assessments on which the individual has not performed satisfactorily;
- The individual's score on each assessment instrument on which the individual has failed to perform satisfactorily;
- The individual's performance on any projects or work samples in the subject areas applicable to the assessments on which the individual has not performed satisfactorily (including any projects or work samples identified and assigned by the local graduation committee to be completed by the individual);
- The individual's participation in offered remediation;
- The individual's school attendance rate;
- The individual's transcript of course work;
- The individual's completion of career and technical education (CTE) program courses; or
- Any other academic, work, or life experience determined to be relevant by the local graduation committee.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that an individual may graduate under the local alternative requirements if the District has made its determination that the individual has met the requirements by September 1, 2019.
Adopted this 19th day of September, 2019, by the Board.
Presiding officer's signature: