GNB(LEGAL) - RELATIONS WITH EDUCATIONAL ENTITIES: REGIONAL EDUCATION SERVICE CENTERS
Regional education service centers shall be located throughout the state so that each school district has the opportunity to be served by and to participate in an approved center on a voluntary basis. The centers shall provide services to assist school districts in improving student performance and increasing the efficiency and effectiveness of school operations. Education Code 8.001(b), .002
Each service center shall develop and maintain core services for purchase by school districts and campuses. These services are:
- Training and assistance in teaching each subject area assessed under Education Code 39.023 (state assessments) and providing instruction in personal financial literacy as required under Education Code 28.0021.
- Training and assistance in providing a gifted and talented program and each program that qualifies for a funding allotment under Education Codes 48.102 (special education), 48.104 (compensatory education), or 48.105 (bilingual education).
- Assistance specifically designed for a district or campus assigned an unacceptable performance rating under Education Code 39.054.
- Training and assistance to teachers, administrators, school board members, and members of site-based decision-making committees.
- Assistance specifically designed for a school district that is considered out of compliance with state or federal special education requirements.
- Assistance in complying with state laws and rules.
Education Code 8.051(d)
In addition to the core services, a regional education service center may offer any service requested and purchased by any school district or campus in the state. Education Code 8.053
A regional education service center shall assist the board of a district in entering into an agreement with another district or political subdivision, a regional education service center, or an institution of higher education for a cooperative shared services arrangement regarding administrative services, including transportation, food service, purchasing, and payroll functions. Education Code 11.003(c)
Delegation of Functions
The board of a school district may delegate purchasing or other administrative functions to a service center to the extent necessary to achieve efficiencies in the use of available services. Education Code 8.122(d)